Socialization Program Service Description:
H.A.T.C.H. provides one to one, development of life skills tutoring, through our Socialization Program including but not limited to:
- Self-Esteem (our #1 goal for all clients)
- Independent Living and Self-Help skills- responsibility, hygiene, money skills
- Survival skills and Safety awareness- what to do in case of an emergency, practicing and/or developing system of identification tailored to the client’s abilities
- Positive Behavior Support- consistently implementing behavioral plans designed by a licensed behaviorist.
- Socialization skills- sharing, taking turns, communication skills, eye contact, body space and additional areas to meet individual needs.
- Community Involvement and Integration
- Verbal and Non Verbal Communication- as per client’s needs and abilities
- Physical Exercise- assist with developing healthy routines and focus on areas of personal need
- Mental Stimulation
H.A.T.C.H. believes that we are positively motivated when we feel good about ourselves. We support teaching/learning through participation in activities that are pleasurable. This hopefully enhances one’s self-esteem. We utilize methods of subliminal teaching. For example, it may look like a picnic at a park to the client and others, however, the preplanning “work” may include shopping, money skills, food preparation, following instructions, nutrition, communication, focus on specific tasks, positive behavior support, independence, safety, exercise and other activities that are designed to meet client’s needs. Our focus is on life skills, teaching/learning, growth and development. Numerous skills interface with academic skills. For example, we work on the understanding of time by using calendars to “plan and prepare”. Some other examples include money skills, reading for fun and following directions. The scope of the H.A.T.C.H. worker/client relationship is as unique as the individual’s needs and abilities. H.A.T.C.H. staff supports our workers as they continue to develop a safe and creative relationship with their clients.
Programming, support and goals are tailored to the individual clients and their ever changing needs, desires and environmental situations.